Registered Massage Therapy
Massage therapy treatments from a Registered Massage Therapist can treat a wide variety of conditions that affect the soft tissues and joints. Learn more about what to expect from massage therapy treatments and how massage therapy can help you.
MORE THAN JUST MUSCLES
Massage therapy is a hands on manipulation of the tissues of the body, these tissues are generally the muscles and connective tissue in order to enhance your health. Massage Therapy is based on modern concepts of anatomy, including a wide variety of modalities that go beyond the original framework of Swedish massage.
Massage has been shown to increase the body's production of pain-killing endorphins and the mood-altering hormone serotonin. It can also slow the release of the stress hormone cortisol. Tense muscles that may also compress blood vessels and stretch nerves, restricting blood flow and causing pain. As the affected area is massaged, the muscles gradually release their stranglehold on the irritated nerves, and the pain eases. The same mechanisms also make massage helpful in the recovery process for an injured muscle.
OUR GOALS FOR YOU
Are soreness and stiffness preventing you from enjoying your life?
- What is massage therapy?
- What to expect on first massage?
- What is a RMT?
- What the benefits of massage therapy?
- What conditions does massage treat?
What is massage therapy?
Massage therapy can be used as a treatment for both acute and chronic conditions. RMTs work with a wide variety of patients in the treatment of illness, injury rehabilitation and disability.
What to expect on first massage therapy visit?
Your treatment will begin once you have given your informed consent. This involves setting realistic goals for treatment, discussing possible responses to treatment, and being informed of alternative care options.
What is a RMT?
- A Registered Massage Therapist:
- Is registered with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO)
- Has completed competency-based education at a recognized school of massage therapy
- Has successfully completed examinations to ensure that they have the necessary competencies safely and effectively offer massage therapy care
- Maintains their registration by participating in continuing education and a quality assurance program to ensure they maintain their high professional standards and quality of care
What are the benefits of massage therapy?
Massage therapy can be an important part of your health maintenance plan by:
- Reducing or eliminating pain
- Improving joint mobility
- Improving lymphatic drainage
- Reducing muscular tension
- Massage therapy can treat both acute and chronic conditions. RMTs work with a wide variety of patients in the treatment of illness, injury, rehabilitation and disability.
What conditions does massage treat?
- Anxiety and Depression
- Asthma and Emphysema
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Inflammatory Conditions
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscle Tension and Spasm
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Post-Surgical Rehabilitation
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and Labor Support
- Sports Injuries
- Strains and Sprains
- Stress and Stress-Related Conditions